Squee of the Week

>> Wednesday 7 July 2010

This week, I am going all mushy over
Sebastian of Kuroshitsuji.


I love contrast and paradox. I love the concept of celestial beings. I love elegance and beauty, as well as the dark and the sinister - even better when they are all combined.
Hence, I love Sebastian.

He is a knight in shining armor, in the most superficial sense – he is able to perform any task, and perform it perfectly. His manners are impeccable, he speaks with beautiful words, he looks good whatever he’s doing, and from what the anime and manga imply, he’s not bad in the sack either.

His trademark quotes:
"I'm just one hell of a butler"

"As a servant of the Phantomhive house, what would I do, if I couldn't even do this?"
or
"As a servant of the Phantomhive house, it's only natural for me to be able to do this."
(after doing something humanly impossible)


In saying all that, he really is the perfect demon – behind all these actions there is a selfish motive. There’s no kindness or caring beneath his smile. He feels no sympathy toward humans and their afflictions – he is only amused by them (kind of like Ryuk of Death Note). He’s probably the best liar in the series (unlike Ciel, who, I think, is merely in denial).


One of the biggest reasons for my liking him is, despite the fact that he’s perfect and doesn’t need or feel for anything, he seems to want to be closer to Ciel.
Of course, this could be because of the contract, his lusting for the kid’s soul, blah blah blah. But there always seems to be a hint of emotion whenever he is brushed off – a bit of amusement, but also a bit of hurt.



Cover of DVD 09.

In reference to the manga, in one of the earlier chapters, he bakes a cake for Ciel’s birthday without mentioning it to anyone, and seems a little saddened by the fact that he didn’t get to present it to him.
In the musical, he goes in to stroke Ciel’s face in the final song, only to have Ciel dodge his touch quite callously.

For whatever reason, Sebastian seems to care about Ciel's well-being, and seems to want to him experience things that will teach him important life lessons - almost like a parent. He knows that Ciel really needs him despite the child pretending that he doesn't...and sometimes he even seems a little hurt that Ciel acts that way.


I guess what it is, in essence, is that
this demon has an idea of what it’s like to be human
.
And that, I find, is beautiful.


Also, he reminds me of Gackt, and other such elegant people. x3

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP